I was thinking about the many recipes I have managed to cook with my beautiful dutch oven but I never thought that making a white bean dutch oven pot pie could be so easy and so delicious. Making this was super fun & fuzz free and I’m definitely making it a thing now!
Ingredients to make this dutch oven pot pie
There are different versions to make this pot pie but the basics are the basics and you got to stick to those.
- Puff pastry: you can either buy it or make it yourself. Both work. Honestly I prefer making it myself but it’s a very long process so 90% of the time I end up buying the pastry at the store.
- Vegetables: I used broccoli, carrots, peas, mushrooms, shallots & garlic for this pie. You can totally switch the broccoli for spinach, or drop the peas if you don’t like those. The important part of this pie is to make it with veggies you enjoy.
- Protein: So I’ve made my pot pie vegetarian with white beans but you can totally add some chicken if that’s what you want (I recommend searing the chicken before mixing it all because it will be much more flavorful). You can also add another type of bean or even tofu if you want another vegetarian friendly protein.
- And then it’s just seasoning and stuff to make this pie look and taste as good as it was.
Similar recipes or other dutch oven recipes
Vegetarian dutch oven pot pie recipeCourse: LunchCuisine: VegetarianDifficulty: Medium
Olive oil (generous amount)
Tons of mushrooms
4 garlic cloves
1 cup peas
2 handfuls broccoli
1 can white beans
2-3 tbsp italian seasoning
1 tsp chili flakes
Salt u0026 pepper to taste
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup broth
Egg to make egg wash
- Add some olive oil to the pot, when hot add the shallots + garlic and carrots
- Cook for a couple minutes then mix milk + flour in a glass and pour over the shallot + garlic
- Add all the other vegetables + the seasoning
- Cook for 10 minutes and when it becomes too thick add the broth
- Add the white beans and cook for 5 minutes
- Cover with the pastry and add some egg wash so it is golden
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until golden
- Let it rest a bit and enjoy!