A couple of months ago I started a new trend of veganizing my favorite meat-based meals. It all started with a random, last-minute vegan bolognese and it continued with cannellonis, lasagna, etc. This past weekend as I was staying at my in-laws, they decided to cook beef bourguignon for our sunday meal and I was thinking I could spice it up and make a different version : A veggie friendly tofu bourguignon and here the recipe.
|Difficulty: 2/5||Prep time : 30 minutes|
|Type : 1 pot meal||Cooking time : Between 1 and 4 hours|
This vegan tofu bourguignon recipe serves 3-4 people:
- 2 onions (sliced in half-moons, a bit thick)
- 2 carrots (sliced a bit thick)
- 200g of mushrooms (cut in big pieces)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 70g of tomato paste
- 4-5 tbsp of thym
- 1 bouquet garni
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 250-350ml red wine (depending on your own taste!)
- 500g tofu
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g vegan butter
- Salt to taste
Vegan tofu bourguignon recipe’s method:
- Cut the tofu in dices (different sizes are ok! the original beef bourguignon doesn’t have perfectly shaped pieces of meat)
- In a large bowl, add the tofu and mix 2 tbsp of thym, a bit of salt, 25g of vegan butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Mix well and put it on an oven tray. You are going to “bake/roast” the tofu at high temperature (200ºC or above) for at least 20 minutes. Tofu should be a bit yellowish before mixing with the rest.
- While the tofu is being cooked, we are going to prepare the rest of our tofu bourguignon. In a large pot at high temperature, add the remaining butter and let it melt. When it’s becoming a bit brownish, add the onion and also the thym. Let them brown until they become a bit transparent and shiny. They are going to stick to the bottom of the pan and when it happens, add a bit of the vegetable stock (around 50ml). Scrap the bottom and let the stock disappear : add the carrots now and lower the heat to medium-low. Let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and a bit of salt and increase the temperature to medium-high. After 5 minutes, add: 30g of tomato paste (mix) and increase temperature to high for 2-3 minutes. Now add the remaining tomato paste and almost all the vegetable stock. Bring it to boil and then leave for 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and lower the temperature to medium-low. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes. The tofu should be ready by now, so you can add it to the mix. Mix well and add the bouquet garni on top. Put the lid on, lower temperature and let simmer for as long as you want (I let mine simmer for about 2 hours. I tasted it around 1h in and added a bit more wine to give it more of a punch).
READ ALSO: Your guide to cooking with tofu
I ate my serving with some mashed potatoes and the result was honestly amazing ! I will be definitely cooking this vegan tofu bourguignon recipe again, not only it was delicious but also extremely easy to make.
Leave a Reply