It’s been a while I haven’t posted but I’m so excited for today’s recipe because it’s a very good one (I know I say that in almost all my posts but I mean, I like what I cook for myself!). This recipe is super easy because it has very few ingredients and it’s such a delicious & comfort meal for days where you just want to eat a super soft & flavor packed burger. So… here my own take at vegan bean burgers. As per usual, you can check out the video recipe right here:
Ingredients to make these vegan bean burgers
Making the patties
As I said, this one is an easy one. For the patty ingredients, you’ll need:
- Kidney beans (cooked, I used half from a can, half cooked by my beautiful Instant pot)
- Vegetables: Mushrooms, one onion & one garlic clove
- Seasoning : Fines herbes & oregano, salt & pepper
- Special ingredient: Beetroots. I use beetroots to give that pink color, for this one I have used beetroot powder cause I have a lot and I want to finish it, but I have made these with real beetroots and it works out really well too, it will just make them a bit more sweet than if you use the powder.
- Some “liquid” to give it a more moist texture: I used olive oil and a tiny bit of veggie broth. You can use water, yogurt even, a bit of milk. As you want. Just make sure you don’t add *too much* cause otherwise the patties will just fall apart.
That’s it. It’s just vegetables, some very basic spices/herbs and whatever you have at home to give it moist. The only “special” ingredient is beetroots but honestly, it’s pretty easy to get those and if you can’t get them, just take them out of the recipe. I only use them for the aesthetic of the final look.
For the final burgers
Ok, this is really the way you want to make them. Everyone likes their burgers their own way but for the ones I had, I used:
- Caramelized red onion
That’s it. I don’t like to complicate my burgers too much.
I love cooking with beans and I don’t think that’s a surprise because I have featured many bean recipes on tofucado, here some of them:
- 3 chickpea recipes
- Easy chili sin carne
- White bean falafels
- Instant Pot Baked beans
- Another version of kidney bean burgers (if you don’t have a food processor)
Super easy vegan bean burgers
- Food processor
- 4 cups kidney bean burgers
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp Fines herbes
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 3 tbsp beetroot powder Add a bit more or less depending on the color you want. I wanted a bright pink-ish, so I added more.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp veggie broth Add one tbsp at a time and see if you need more moist or not.
- Salt & pepper to your taste
- Add the kidney beans to the food processor and mix them for 1 minute. Add half of the mushrooms, the onion and the garlic and mix again till it's almost homogenous.
- Add the remaining mushrooms, the seasoning and the beetroot powder and mix again.
- If it is too thick, add the olive oil and broth one tbsp at a time while mixing until it's a bit more moist. When it has a semi-firm consistency, take it out of the food processor and put it in a bowl.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the mix and mix well. The paste will become thicker. When it is on the thicker side (aka the patties can hold their shape on their own), start making the patties. To make the patties, take around 2 tbsp of the paste and shape them in a round shape. Coat with some breadcrumbs if you want to get a crusty feeling whean eating them.
- I made 5 patties (very big ones) with the amount of paste I made. Once they are ready, leave them in the freezer (if you want to use them right away) for thirty minutes, or in the fridge for at least 2h if you wanna cook them later.
- To cook the patties, add a bit of olive oil or butter to a pan and cook them at medium-high heat for 5 minutes each side.
- You can use them now as you want for your burgers!
How I assembled my burgers
- I cooked 5 minutes one side of a patty, then flipped and added one slice of cheese. Covered with a lid for 5 minutes while I prepared the rest of the burger.
- What I did was: burger bun (bottom), cheese (melted on top), a bit of caramelized onions, then when the patty was ready, put the patty on top, then added this to the pan (with the fire off), covered with more caramelized onions, pickles & ketchup, and covered with the top burger bun and left there for 2 minutes, with the fire off). We ate ours with some french fries, super good.
Leave a Reply