I know I sound dramatic but cabbages are just… the best? I used to hate them as a kid but it was mostly because I was eating them boiled and bland, and it made sense. But spices! Oh boy, spicy cauliflower is really on my top top top of the top lists. And this roasted cauliflower and chickpea recipe is at the top of all those lists. So be prepared.
Ingredients to cook this roasted cauliflower recipe
The ingredient list for this recipe is very straightforward: cauliflower and chickpeas (plus obviously, a couple of spices here & there)
- Cauliflower: I mean, it’s the basic ingredient.
- Chickpeas: Same as above. Your Chickpeas need to be cooked, so if you have dry Chickpeas make sure you cook them before putting them in the oven.
- Spices: I used Chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, pepper and salt. And olive oil, always olive oil.
- Sides: Quinoa, rice, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, most carbs will go well with this recipe.
How to make this roasted cauliflower recipe?
Preparing the cauliflower and the chickpeas
Let’s start by preheating the oven at 210ºC. Then, we are going to parch an oven tray and set aside. Cut the cauliflower into quarters, they need to still have some its shape but if you cut them too big they will not cook through in the middle. Also, try to cut them as evenly as possible so that they all roast similarly.
In a large bowl, dump the cauliflower and the chickpeas. Mix well. Add all the spices and mix. Then add the olive oil and toss the cauliflower and chickpea bowl thoroughly. Now, place the cauliflower and the chickpeas on the parched tray evenly. Try to avoid having several florets on top of each other, spread them as much as you can on one layer (otherwise they won’t roast).
Cook in the oven for around 30 minutes, stirring once around 15 minutes. The cauliflower should be golden and crispy on the edges! Don’t hesitate to cook some florets a bit more if they haven’t golden properly. Serve the cauliflower and the chickpeas with the side dish of your choice. We had some leftover wild rice so that was our side. You can add some extra sour cream if you want, but I think the dish is great on its own as it is.
Alternatives to the roasted cauliflower
If you want to change a bit the dish, or you don’t like cauliflower, you can totally switch it for broccoli or any other cabbage. Carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, most veggies would work well in this recipe, just the time would be a bit higher or lower depending on what vegetable you are cooking.
The chickpeas can totally be left out of the recipe, and they an also be switched by any other beans. I think Chickpeas work the best when roasted compared to other beans, but you can totally try other beans!
📢 This is my first cauliflower recipe but if you want to check other recipes, you can check out my healthy smoked tofu bowl with vegetables (tons of broccoli) right here. Also, I roasted a lot of veggies, catalan-style, in a previous recipe as well.
😋 What is your favorite vegetable to roast in the oven? I enjoy cauliflower a lot but roasted peppers are also to die for. Tell me all in the comments!
Roasted Cauliflower & Chickpeas Recipe
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 can of chickpeas (Around 300g)
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Side dish: sweet potatoes, rice, quinoa, …
- Preheat oven at 210 degrees. Put some parchment paper in an oven try and set aside.
- Cut the cauliflower in quarts and then cut equally big florets. This will ensure that all the parts will be roasted the same way.
- In a large bowl, mix the cauliflower and the chickpeas (Chickpeas should be cooked beforehand or use canned chickpeas). Add all the spices and mix well. Add the olive oil and toss is thoroughly.
- In the already parched oven tray, place the cauliflower and chickpeas. Make sure that it is all in one line, this will ensure an even roasting of the cauliflower.
- Cook for around 15 minutes then stir the cauliflower and chickpeas. Continue to cook for another extra 15 minutes.
- The cauliflower should be golden and crisp on the edges. If some florets aren't equally roasted, cook them for a bit more.
- Serve the cauliflower and chickpeas with your choice of side-dish. We had ours with wild rice. Enjoy!
🇫🇷 Chou-fleur rôti avec des pois-chiches – Recette en français
- 1 chou-fleur taille moyen.
- 1 boîte de pois-chiches ou 300g de pois-chiches cuisinés.
- 3 cuillères à café de poudre de chili
- 1 cuillères à soupe d’ail en poudre
- 1 cuillère à soupe de paprika doux
- 2 cuillères à soupe d’huile d’olive.
- Sel et poivre pour assaisonner
1. Préchauffer le four à 210 degrés celsius. Couvrir la plaque du four avec du papier cuisine. Laisser à côté.
2. Couper le chou-fleur en quarts puis couper les fleurons de façon similaire. Cela permettra d’obtenir une cuisson égale de tous les fleurons.
3. Dans un grand bol, mélanger le chou-fleur et les pois-chiches. Ajouter toutes les épices et bien mélanger. Ajouter l’huile d’olive et bien mélanger.
4. Mettre le chou-fleur et pois-chiches assaisonnés dans la plaque du four. Faire attention [à tout mettre dans une seule couche pour bien rôtir le chou-fleur.
5. Cuire pendant 15 minutes puis retourner le chou-fleur et pois-chiches. Continuer à cuire pendant 15 minutes supplémentaires.
6. Le chou-fleur devrait être doré et croustillant sur les côtés. S’il reste quelques fleurons pas trop bien rôtis, continuer à les cuire un peu plus.
7. Servir le chou-fleur et pois-chiches avec l’accompagnement de votre choix. Nous avons dégusté notre plat avec du riz sauvage.
I haven’t been able to sit down and work on tofucado as much as I wanted – hence the lack of posts for an entire week. It’s been a bit hectic and on top of that, I have also been procrastinating a lot. Last weekend, I managed to sit down and organize the next month and all the publications. Tofucado is my little project and I love all the time spending on it, and I want to continue doing so. However, it is sometimes hard to balance my work life with it, because both require a lot of my time. Still, I hope you enjoy the recipes and your time here!