Ever since I got a Le Creuset pot for christmas I cannot help myself and I cook with it almost every day. I had never imagined my cooking would be drastically better (in terms of time and also flavor) with it. I should have got myself one sooner! But enough talk about Le Creuset and more talk about the food. Today I wanted to share a recipe that well, I cook quite often. It’s something I love making because it has tons of veggies, it’s quite healthy and it’s a fail-proof recipe. That recipe is my go-to shakshuka with spinach recipe!
Check out the video recipe below (and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel, like & comment the video if you tried the recipe!)
Ingredients to make this shakshuka with spinach recipe
So a shakshuka is basically a mix of onion, red bell pepper & tomatoes and then the rest is a bit up to you. I usually add some “green” veggie to my shakshuka to make it a bit more colorful and to follow the usual “eat the rainbow” thing. So, the full list of ingredients:
- Veggies: Onion, garlic, red bell pepper, spinach.
- Sauce: crushed tomatoes & tomato sauce.
- Seasoning: Basil, fines herbes, salt & pepper with a touch of smoked paprika for some extra flavor.
- Toppings: eggs & feta.
If you want to make a vegan version of this shakshuka with spinach, I’d suggest swapping the eggs for some other protein such as soft tofu with turmeric (to give it a yellow color), or some chickpeas. The feta I know there are many vegan alternatives for vegan feta so you could try that or use some tofu or vegan cheese.
Other alternatives to this shakshuka:
- Green veg: Kale, broccoli, swiss chard, cabbage.
- Toppings: Mozarella works really good as well. Bacon or pancetta work wonderfully as well if you want a bit more of a smokey flavor. I have never tried adding any sort of fish to a shakshuka but I have seen it happen, more in a “shakshuka style” (For example, this baked fish, shakshuka style recipe by the Feed Feed).
I had already posted a shakshuka recipe and it was more of a traditional one. You can check it out right here.
If you want other one pot recipes like this one:
Easy Shakshuka With Spinach
- If you have an oven safe pan, use that. If not, you can finish cooking the eggs on the stove top.
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 200 g Spinach
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 250ml
- 5 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp fines herbes
- salt & pepper to your taste
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 4 eggs 2 eggs per serving
- 50 g feta cheese
- Dice the onions and pepper, mince the garlic.
- In a pot, add some olive oil. When hot, add the onion & garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the pepper and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add half of the spinach and mix well with the seasoning.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and almost all of the remaining spinach (only leave a tiny bit to put on top at the end). Add the tomato sauce and mix well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- If you are cooking this in an oven safe pot, pre-heat your oven at 200ºC. If not, skip this step.
- Make 4 tiny holes and add your eggs. Sprinkle the remaning spinach leaves and the feta cheese.
- If you are cooking this in an oven safe pot, place your pot in the oven and cook for 7 minutes or until the eggs are fully cooked.
- If you are cooking this on the stove, cover with a lid and cook till the eggs are cooked.
- Serve with some rice, pita bread or normal bread!