One of the few things I remember really well from my trip to Bologna was the tortellini soup I had in one of the restaurants there. I love tortellini. I love soup. But for whatever reason I never thought of putting one and the other together, till I knew it was possible. Ever since I have wanted to try it at home and I finally did (even if I did some modifications to it). Below, my tortellini soup recipe with the Instant Pot!
🇫🇷 La recette est disponible en français tout en bas!
Disclaimer : Some people have noticed that my so-called tortellini look more like capelletti or ravioli. Which yeah, is true. The package of pasta we used described these as “mooned shaped tortellinis”, which is why I called them like so. Either way, it doesn’t help that I’m terrible at remembering which is ravioli and which is tortellini, kinda like a what’s left and what’s right situation. Fear not, this recipe works well with any shape of filled pasta (Already tried with raviolis, with tortellinis and again with these weirdly shaped “tortellini”)
The ingredients list is quite straightforward:
- Tortellini of your choice. I used ricotta & spinach tortellinis.
- Canned tomatoes.
- Vegetable broth (homemade or store-bought!)
- Some mushrooms
How to prepare this tortellini soup recipe
This was super easy to make and it joins the “dump and go” club. We will put all the ingredients (except the mushrooms and oregano) in the Instant Pot. Then we will put the mushrooms and oregano on top.
Proceed to close the lid, set the timer at 0! (really important, otherwise you’ll end up with overcooked tortellini) and just let the pot do its magic. We will do 5 minutes of NR then a QR. The result will blow your mind (really, the flavors of this tortellini soup recipe were outstanding).
A tortellini life
I love pasta. Truly one of the best inventions in life. And I love tortellini even more. Such a nice thing, and always fast to make (when you buy them at the store). One of my resolutions this year was to make my own tortellini from scratch… Maybe one day I’ll do it (I’d need to buy the pasta machine before) and I’m sure I’d love it.
🎙️But also, i’d love to hear what your favorite pasta dish is! Is it mac&cheese? pasta carbonara? I know I love pasta carbonara. Tell me more in the comments and also, if you try the recipe, don’t forget to tag tofu_cado and show me the results!
Instant Pot Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 500 g fresh tortellini or two packs, we used ricotta & spinach tortellini
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 3 cups of veggie broth
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 tbsp oregano
- Put the tortellini, peeled tomatoes, veggie broth and milk in the Instant Pot.
- Put the diced mushrooms and oregano on top.
- Close the lid, set the valve to sealing and click on manual. Set the timer to 0 minutes. The Instant Pot will take around 10 to 15 minutes to reach pressure.
- When the timer goes off, wait around 5 minutes and then do a Quick Release (QR). Turn the sealing valve to venting carefully and let the steam come out.
- When it’s safe to open the lid, open it and voilà ! Your tortellini soup is ready. You can top it with some grated cheese, i had mine with a mix of mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
Instant Pot Soupe de tortellinis à la tomate – recette en français
- 500 g tortellini (pâtes fraîches, nous avons utilisé de tortellini à la ricotta et épinards)
- 1 boîte tomates pelées
- 200 g champignons
- 750ml bouillon végétal
- 125ml lait
- 2 cuillères à soupe d’origan
- Mettre les tortellini, tomates, le bouillon végétal et le lait dans l’Instant Pot.
- Ajouter les champignons et l’origan au-dessus.
- Fermer l’instant Pot, vérifier que la sealing valve est bien sur Sealing. Sélectionner le mode “Manual/Pressure cooker” et ajouter le timer à 0 minutes. L’instant Pot prendra entre 10 et 15 minutes à arriver à la pression maximale.
- Quand le timer est terminé, attendre 5 minutes puis effectuer une Quick Release. Bouger la sealing valve de “sealing” à “venting” pour permettre la vapeur de sortir. Quand la floating valve est descendue, vous pouvez ouvrir l’instant Pot.
- Et voilà, c’est prêt. Vous pouvez servir cette soupe avec du fromage râpé, j’ai utilisé un mélange mozzarella et cheddar.