I miss going to restaurants and I miss eating greek food. There is a greek restaurant that I love going to not too far from my place but because of the current situation it’s closed and now well, I guess I got to learn how to make my fave dishes from there. It’s been a while I don’t eat moussaka so this was 100% made from my memory and from what I wanted to make, so here my maybe not super photogenic but still delicious moussaka. Check out the full recipe video (and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel!) right here:
Ingredients to make this delicious vegan moussaka
This recipe has three steps: the vegetables (potatoes, eggplants & zucchini), the meat, which is prepared with tofu & tomatoes) and the bechamel which just makes the end result even better. And obviously, there is the melting hceese part, which is always the best part.
- Potatoes (for the bottom layer)
- Eggplants (for the layer on top)
- Zucchini (for the top layer of the veggies)
- Herbs: fines herbes, thym, basil, nutmeg, salt & pepper
- Onion & garlic
- Crushed tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Milk (plant-based)
- Vegan butter
- Nutmeg, salt & pepper
- Some cheese (to top at the end)
Similar recipes to this delicious vegan moussaka
If you want some comfort food, maybe you wanna treat yourself to a nice meal, here some other recipes that could help you:
- Vegan lasagna (very similar to this moussaka, the bechamel is the same recipe & your tummy will feel super happy)
- Super easy and delicious vegan burgers (the top 10 comfort foods: burgers, who could say no to that?)
- One-pot baked gnocchi
- Vegan mushroom & polenta bake (same as above, I have learned to cook with polenta this year and it’s so so good!)
Easy & Delicious tofu moussaka
- 3-4 medium sized potatoes Sliced
- 2 eggplants Sliced
- 1.5 zucchnis Sliced
- 500 g firm tofu
- 1 onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Fines herbes
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp Thym
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups plant-based milk
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg according to your taste
- Slice the potatoes. Put them in an oven safe tray and tap on them with a kitchen paper to absorbe moisture. Drizzle some olive oil, salt & pepper and cook in a pre-heated oven (200ºC) for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, we will cook the sliced eggplants & zucchini. In a pan, add some olive oil. When hot, add some slices of eggplant. Cook for 8 minutes each side till "roasted". Do the same for the zucchini slices but for 5 minutes each side.
- Set all the veggies aside when ready.
- Press the tofu for at least 30 minutes.
- In a pan, add some olive oil. Cook the garlic & onion for 2-3 minutes then add the crushed tomatoes, herbs and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, take a fork and mince the tofu with it.
- When the sauce is ready, add in the minced tofu and mix well. Leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter. Add the flour and stir.
- Add in the hot milk, mix well with a whisker.
- Add salt, pepper & nutmeg according to your taste.
- If the bechamel is too thick, add more milk. If it's too liquid, add a tiny bit more flour.
- In an oven safe tray, add the potatoes at the bottom. Top with the eggplant, then the zucchini. Add the tofu meat, pressing well.
- Pour the bechamel over and then cover with some cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 200ºC for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and grilled. If your oven has a grill function, use it till the cheese is melted and grilled
- Wait 5 minutes before serving! Enjoy