Dakgalbi used to be one of the things I ate all the time while I was in Korea, it was the perfect combination and honestly, heaven. Also, it was super spicy and by the end of my time there I had my top 3 restaurants that made the best dakgalbi. A couple of months ago I posted one version with texturized soy protein but I wasn’t too convinced so I’ve decided to make another one, and this time, with cauliflower! Here the absolutely super delicious vegan cauliflower dakgalbi recipe.
What do I need to make this vegan cauliflower dakgalbi?
Honestly, this is a very easy recipe to make if you have the right ingredients. The cauliflower is really easy to find, but the trickier part is the sauce. For the sauce you’ll need:
- Gochujang (chili paste sauce): basically the holy grail of korean cooking. You could use any other chili paste sauce but gochujang really had a distinct flavor.
- Gochugaru (chili flakes)
- Soy sauce
- Agave Syrup
- Brown Rice Vinegar
- Sesame Oil
If you need more detail on how to build an asian-pantry friendly, don’t hesitate to check out my guide detailing all about it.
Other tofucado recipes that are somewhat similar to this amazing vegan cauliflower dakgalbi. Korean cooking is a huge part of my blog and it’s just cause it brings me so much joy. I am not going to bother you with the whole nostalgia stuff, but for this specific cuisine, it truly is that stuff. And it’s not even just the emotional side but also the fact that it’s by far one of my favorites: it has tons of veggies, tons of tofu, tons of mushroom and it’s spicy aaaaaaf. I love that.
Vegan Cauliflower Dakgalbi
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 tbsp green onion
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
For the sauce
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp gochugaru (chili flakes)
- 1-2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2-3 tbsp gochujang (chili paste) If you don't tolerate super spicy food, cut this in half and add more if you feel like it.
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp cornstartch a bit more if you want the sauce to be thicker
- 1 serving white rice 1 per person
- Cut the cauliflower in small pieces : separate the florets then cut in smaller pieces (around 2-3cm)
- In a wok, add a bit of olive oil then start cooking the cauliflower at medium heat.
- While the cauliflower cooks (keep an eye on it and stir every now and then!), we'll prepare the sauce.
- To prepare the sauce, mince the garlic and put in a bowl. Add the sauce ingredients: vinegar, gochugaru, sesame oil, agave syrup, gochujang and soy sauce and mix well. Add the water and whisk. Set aside.
- After 20 minutes of cooking the cauliflower (or until it is almost cooked but still has a bit of a crunch), set aside the cauliflower.
- In the same wok, add the sauce. Cook until it starts to boil, then continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cornstarch and continue to cook at medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and coat it well with the sauce. Cook for a couple of minutes then it's all good.
- Top with sesame seeds and green onion and enjoy with a side of white rice!
Leave a Reply