It’s been a while since I posted a recipe and I have many quick recipes for you! I posted a lot during the summer but I didn’t have the time to post all the recipes. You will get them all, eventually, but step by step! Life has been a bit crazy lately, too many things happening at once but it should be stabilizing now and I should be back to posting. Enough blabling (Even though we know google loves the blabling), and more food talking. Today’s recipe is one of my favorite creations of 2021, it’s my super quick (20 minutes only!) spicy and creamy kimchi mac & cheese.
The ingredients to make this kimchi mac & cheese
To make this recipe you only need a couple of things and you probably guessed it: pasta & kimchi:
- Pasta: I used mac and cheese pasta but honestly I have eaten this with spaguetti and it’s also pretty good.
- Kimchi & its juice
- Seasoning: salt & pepper, chili flakes, parsley
How to make this kimchi mac & cheese
Well, it wouldn’t be a 20 minute recipe if this wasn’t easy to make but honestly it’s a pretty straightforward recipe:
- You make the pasta (follow package instructions!)
- Then in a pan, you add the butter and when melted, you cook the diced onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour & kimchi and mix everything together (as if you were making a roux)
- Add the cream & a bit of the kimchi juice till the sauce is a bit thick but not too thick. Add the seasoning according to your taste.
- This is when you add the pasta, if the sauce is too thick, add a bit more milk or kimchi juice (or both).
- Fold in the cheese and voilà !
Alternatives or similar recipes
I’d say the easiest alternative to this recipe is just your classical mac & cheese (so same recipe, just don’t add the kimchi). Other alternatives:
- If you want spicy pasta but don’t want kimchi: use tomato sauce with chili flakes and you will have some quick spicy tomato sauce.
- If you want some kimchi recipes but don’t want pasta:
20 minutes spicy and creamy kimchi mac & cheeseCourse: Fall, Lunch & Dinner, Recipes, Vegetarian, WinterCuisine: FusionDifficulty: Easy
2 portions of pasta (1 portion per serving)
2 tbsp butter
1 small yellow onion
1 cup of kimchi (approx 200 grams of kimchi)
1/4 cups kimchi juice (50ml)
1/2 cup of flour (60 grams)
2/3 cups of milk/cream (approx 160 ml of milk/cream)
2 tsp chili flakes
Salt & pepper according to taste
As much grated cheese as you want
Pinch of parsley (topping)
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions and set aside.
- Melt butter in a pan and once it is melted, cook the onion (diced) for 5 minutes.
- Add the kimchi & the flour and mix like you are making a roux. After 1 minute, add the kimchi juice & milk/cream
- Once the sauce is thickened, add the seasoning according to your taste.
- Add in the pasta. If the sauce is too thick, add more kimchi juice or cream/milk.
- Add in the cheese and once the cheese is melted, serve.
- Sprinkle some parsley on top.